Tracking the Decapods: Winder, Ga.
Pictures and text by Todd DeFeo · Railfanning.org
WINDER, Ga. — Gainesville Midland No. 208, built by Pennsylvania-based Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1930, has been on display since 1959.
The decapod first served on the Seaboard Air Line as engine No. 530, and during the 1950s, the Gainesville Midland purchased engine No. 208, along with three other decapods. The locomotives remained in service until 1959, according to George H. Drury’s Guide to North American Steam Locomotives.
After its retirement, No. 208 was given to the city of Winder.
The Winder decapod is one of three known Gainesville Midland decapods still in Georgia — No. 209 is on display in Gainesville and No. 203 resides at the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth.
A similar locomotive — Gainesville Midland No. 116, a smaller locomotive with eight drive wheels and built in 1907 — is on display outside Jefferson High School.