JEFFERSON, Ga. — Gainesville Midland No. 116 was build in 1923 by Philadelphia-based Baldwin Locomotive Works.
Before it went into service on the Gainesville Midland, No. 116 served on the Central of Georgia.
Delivered in October 1907, the class C-3 2-8-0 locomotive was one of 25 the Central of Georgia ordered in 1906-07. When it ran on the central of Georgia, the locomotive carried No. 215.
The steamer remained with the Central of Georgia until the early 1950s when the Gainesville Midland bought the locomotive. It served on the Gainesville Midland until 1958 when it was retired following a crack to its boiler.
Today, the locomotive is on display outside of Jefferson High School in Jefferson, Ga. The locomotive is one of four former Gainesville Midland locomotives on display throughout Georgia. Three others (all decapods) are on display in Duluth, Gainesville and Winder.