The EMD E8 was a 2,250-horsepower (1,680 kW), A1A-A1A passenger train locomotive manufactured by General Motors’ Electro-Motive Division (EMD) of La Grange, Ill.
The cab version, or E8A, was manufactured from August 1949 to December 1953. In total, 449 were produced – 446 for U.S., and 3 for Canada. The B-unit, or E8B, was manufactured from December 1949 to January 1954. All 46 manufactured were for the U.S.
The 2,250 horsepower was achieved by putting two 1,125 horsepower, 12 cylinder, model 567B engines in the engine compartment. Each engine drove its own generator to power the traction motors. The E8 was the ninth model in a long line of passenger diesels of similar design known as EMD E-units.
The noses of the E8 cab units had the appearance of a bulldog’s snout when viewed from the side. Therefore, the E7, E8, and E9 units have been nicknamed “bulldog nose” units. Earlier E-unit locomotives had a more slanted nose and were nicknamed “shovel nose” units or “slant nose” units.
After passenger trains were canceled on the Erie Lackawanna in 1970, the E8s were re-geared for freight and were very reliable for the EL. These units were on freight trains until the early years of Conrail.