By Todd DeFeo
RINGGOLD, Ga. – Today, this north Georgia town is barely a blip on the map, often overlooked because of its close proximity to Chattanooga, Tenn.
But, in the mid-19th century, Ringgold was a bigger market than its neighbor to the north.
The station was opened on May 9, 1850, and has been in continuous railroad use since that time. The building was erected using local sandstone and its walls are 14 inches thick.
The building was barely damaged on Nov. 27, 1863, during the Battle of Ringgold. It was, however, repaired using limestone blocks, which can be easily seen.
It was just north of here on April 12, 1862, that the Andrews Raid ended. And after the raid, the General was brought back to Ringgold and parked until it could be repaired.