Marietta Confederate Cemetery

December 27, 2010 Todd DeFeo 0

MARIETTA, Ga. — The Daily Intelligencer newspaper of Sept. 15, 1863, reported what was no doubt startling news. “The up train had on board the 10th Tennessee Regiment, 1st Tennessee Battalion, and the 50th Tennessee Regiment, and we regret to learn that some ten or fifteen were killed, and about thirty or forty wounded,” the newspaper wrote. “They were clearing the wreck when our informant left, and we have been unable to learn any further particulars.” The dead soldiers were transported to Marietta and buried beneath an oak tree on land donated by Jane Glover, the wife of the city’s

Athens trestle a music landmark

December 27, 2010 Todd DeFeo 0

ATHENS, Ga. — To most passersby, the old, abandoned railroad trestle off Poplar Street near Dudley Park probably wouldn’t garner much of a reaction. But, to music fans, especially those of Athens native R.E.M., the trestle is a landmark. Gracing the back of the band’s 1983 album “Murmur,” the bridge is best known today as the Murmur Trestle. The trestle was built in 1883 and served the Georgia Railroad and later CSX Transportation, according to the Athens Banner-Herald. The bridge hasn’t been in use since 1998. “To R.E.M. fans, the trestle represents a piece of R.E.M.’s history,” one fan told

Roundhouse museum provides window into Savannah’s railroad past

December 27, 2010 Todd DeFeo 0

SAVANNAH — For more than a century, Savannah was an important city for the Central of Georgia Railroad. Starting in 1851, the railroad built a roundhouse, machine shop, blacksmith shop and other facilities here to service locomotives and rolling stock. The facility — built on the site of the Revolutionary War’s Siege of Savannah in 1778 — was completed four years later. Founded in 1833 as the Central Rail Road and Canal Company, the railroad was originally built to connect Macon and Savannah, thereby allowing Georgia products to reach the port city of Savannah. The railroad, like much of the

1 2 3 45