DUNWOODY, Ga. — The first section of what is today MARTA’s Red Line opened in 1996, just in time for the 1996 Summer Olympics.
The Dunwoody station served as the line’s current terminus starting June 8, 1996. Two other stations on the line — Medical Center and Buckhead — also opened that day.
The line’s current terminus — North Springs — opened on Dec. 16, 2000.
For a city like Dunwoody, which was then an unincorporated community, it marked the first rail service since the Roswell Railroad shuttered in 1921.
The below pictures were taken on Oct. 15, 2013, in Sandy Springs between the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody stations.