As the Elberton Air Line Railway extended its line north from Elberton toward the Atlanta & Richmond Air-Line Railroad at Toccoa, the business community in Lavonia rallied around the idea of building a stop in their community.
The Atlanta & Charlotte Air-Line Railway, which ultimately became part of Southern Railway, controlled the line.
Lavonia was originally named Burgess. It was renamed after Lavonia Hammond Jones, the wife of Major John Henry Jones, the Elberton Air Line Railway’s president.
Southern Railway built a depot in Lavonia circa 1910.
In May 1978, Southern offered to lease the depot to the city for a nominal fee if it would close Adams Street to traffic. The city opted not to lease the depot.
The Chamber of Commerce subsequently leased the edifice. Today, it is home to Lavonia’s Welcome Center.