NEWARK, N.J. — The arrival of the railroad had an immediate impact on Newark. In 1830, Newark boasted a population of about 11,000, but by 1850, the city had a population of more than 38,000. The Pennsylvania Railroad opened a new station in Newark circa 1891. About two years later, the railroad elevated its tracks through the city.
The Pennsylvania Railroad dedicated its new station in Newark on March 23, 1935, a day before the station entered service. The prominent architectural firm McKim, Mead & White designed the station, opting to incorporate a mix of Art Deco and Neo-Classical elements into its design. The firm also designed Penn Station in New York.
In October 2001, Newark Liberty International Airport Station, owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, opened.