Overview
Atlanta’s second Union Depot opened in 1871 on State Square, replacing the city’s original 1853 depot, which had been destroyed during the burning of Atlanta in November 1864.
Designed by architect Max Corput in the Second Empire style, the station was jointly financed by the Western & Atlantic, Georgia Railroad, Macon & Western, and Atlanta & West Point railroads. Construction was underway by July 1870, and newspaper reports in November 1871 described the new depot as brilliantly illuminated by gas. Located along present-day Wall Street between Pryor Street and Central Avenue, the depot served as Atlanta’s principal passenger station for more than three decades. Its eastern corner marked the location of Atlanta’s original Zero Mile Marker, now preserved at the Atlanta History Center.
Quick Facts
- Status
- Demolished
- Community
- Atlanta
- County
- Fulton County
- State or province
- Georgia
- Country
- United States of America
- Coordinates
- 33.752662740184846, -84.38910706360932
- Opened or constructed
- 1871
- Closed, demolished or abandoned
- 1930
