(The Center Square) — The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority plans to spend $176 to 215 million to extend Atlanta’s streetcar line eastward.
The agency plans to use money from the More MARTA Atlanta half-penny sales tax voters in Atlanta approved in November 2016 to fund the two-mile extension, which won’t open until 2027. The agency expects to start construction in 2024.
- Intro: “Waiting on My Train to Come,” recorded live at the Southeastern Railway Museum on August 2, 2020. Written by Todd DeFeo, (c) 2006, 2020 by Todd DeFeo (ASCAP). From “A Guy Walks Into a Train Museum.”
- Outro: “Don’t Know What I Can’t Explain,” recorded 1999. Written by Todd DeFeo, (c) 1998 by Todd DeFeo (ASCAP). From “The Todd DeFeo Collection” (1999).
- Diesel Horn: Recorded at the Southeastern Railway Museum on November 14, 2020.
- Steam Train: 1880s Train, recorded September 12, 2020, in Hill City, South Dakota.
- The Center Square contributed to this podcast.
Podcast produced by Joe Nevark.