Edited from Wikipedia
Between 1934 and 1943, 139 of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s GG1 class of electric locomotives were built at the railroad’s shops in Altoona, Penn. The locomotives remained in service with the railroad and its successors until the early 1980s, making them one of the most recognized classes of locomotive worldwide.
At 79 feet, 6 inches long and weighing 477,000 pounds, the GG1 was a large locomotive. The double-ended main body was a single unit formed as a bridge-truss framework and clad in welded steel plate. The cabs were set up high about a third of the way along the locomotive from each end for greater crew safety in the event of a collision.
A narrower section of nose in front of the cab windows was lowered to improve the view forward, although the central part of the nose remained full height to carry the current-collection pantographs. The bodywork as a whole was smoothly rounded, with an appearance that suggested immense power and speed.
This was mounted upon two great cast steel locomotive frames linked by a hinge at the locomotive’s middle which allowed side-to-side movement. Six driving wheels (three axles) were fitted towards the center of the locomotive on each truck (twelve in total) and a four-wheeled, unpowered guiding truck was mounted toward each end.
While the famous industrial designer Raymond Loewy did not design the shape of the GG1 electric locomotives (borrowed from the earlier P5a), he did improve their looks by recommending the use of a smooth, welded construction instead of riveted assembly, along with a pinstriped paint scheme to highlight their smoothly rounded forms; the “streamline” style, evoking speedy travel, was popular at the time. The mechanical design behind the GG1 came from the New Haven Railroad EP3 electric. The New Haven allowed the PRR to borrow