- Builder: Danforth, Cooke and Company
- Type: 4-4-0
- Entered Service: October 1856
- Disposition: Displayed at the Atlanta History Center; previously displayed outside at Grant Park and inside the Atlanta Cyclorama
The second-most famous engine of the Great Locomotive Chase. The Texas was built by Danforth, Cooke & Company of Paterson, N.J. in 1856 for a cost of $9,050 and is today on display in Grant Park in Atlanta.
In 1908, the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis donated the locomotive to the city of Atlanta, which placed it on display in Atlanta’s Grant Park. In 1927, the city moved the Texas to the basement of the Cyclorama building.
In 1936, Wilbur Kurtz oversaw several upgrades to the locomotive. In 2014, the city of Atlanta and the Atlanta History Center signed a 75-year agreement to transfer the Battle of Atlanta painting and the Texas to a to-be-built facility at the Atlanta History Center.