The New Jersey & New York Railroad traces its origins to the Hackensack and New York Railroad, which was chartered in 1856 and eventually operated between Rutherford, New Jersey, and Hackensack, New Jersey. In 1866, the company rechartered as the Hackensack and New York Extension Railroad and later reorganized as the New Jersey and New York Railroad. It extended its line north of Hackensack, reaching the village of Haverstraw by 1887. The Erie Railroad leased the railroad for 99 years starting in 1896, and it remained an Erie subsidiary until 1960 when the Erie merged to create the Erie Lackawanna Railroad, which subsequently merged in 1976 to form Conrail. Today, the line between Hackensack and Spring Valley, New York, is part of N.J. Transit’s Pascack Valley Line.