Norfolk Southern Railway
The Monroe Railroad and Banking Company chartered in December 1833. However, it was not until 1838 that it opened for business with a five-foot gauge line from Macon, Georgia, to Forsyth, Georgia. It extended to Griffin in 1842. However, an economic depression halted construction, but when the railroad started building again, it managed only another 11.25 miles toward Atlanta before falling into bankruptcy. After it was purchased in foreclosure, the railroad changed its in 1845 to the Macon & Western Railroad. This new railroad built 21 more miles of track to complete the line to Atlanta. The Central Railroad and Banking Company of Georgia bought the line in 1872.