The state of New Jersey chartered the Camden & Amboy Rail Road and Transportation Company on February 4, 1830, the same day it chartered the Delaware and Raritan Canal Company. The railroad opened its line between Bordentown, New Jersey, and South Amboy, New Jersey on December 17, 1832. Later, after the incorporation of the New Jersey Rail Road & Transportation Company, the Camden & Amboy build a line between Trenton, New Jersey, and New Brunswick, New Jersey. In early 1867, the Camden & Amboy and the New Jersey Rail Road combined to make up the United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company, which the Pennsylvania Railroad leased in 1871 for 999 years.
The state of New Jersey chartered the New Jersey Rail Road and Transportation Company on March 7, 1832, to build a line paralleling the Camden & Amboy. The new line would terminate at Jersey City across from New York City. The Camden & Amboy, worried about competition, exerted its influence in the state legislature, and the New Jersey Rail Road only built between New Brunswick and Jersey City. In early 1867, the Camden & Amboy and the New Jersey Rail Road and Transportation Company combined to make up the United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company, which the Pennsylvania Railroad leased in 1871 for 999 years.
The Pennsylvania General Assembly chartered the Philadelphia & Trenton Railroad on February 23, 1832, to build a line between Kensington, Pennsylvania, and the Trenton Bridge at Morrisville, Pennsylvania. On April 16, 1834, the Philadelphia & Trenton Railroad opened an eight-mile stretch between Morrisville and Bristol, using horses to pull trains. In 1836, the Camden & Amboy gained a controlling interest in the line. On June 30, 1871, the Pennsylvania Railroad leased the Philadelphia & Trenton and started operating the line on December 1, 1871. A portion of the line folded into what is today the Northeast Corridor.
The Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad was created through the merger of four earlier railroads: the Philadelphia and Delaware County Rail-Road Company; the Baltimore and Port Deposit Rail Road Company; the Delaware and Maryland Rail Road Company; and the Wilmington and Susquehanna Rail Road Company. The new line formed a single road between Philadelphia and Baltimore. The Pennsylvania Railroad took control of the company in 1881 following a fight with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In 1902, the Pennsylvania Railroad merged the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore and the Baltimore & Potomac railroads to create the Philadelphia, Baltimore & Washington Railroad.