Glover locomotive No. 10168, a standard gauge 2-6-0, was recently discovered in a barn in Ohio. Its new owner, Daryl Kirby of Kirby Family Farm, will exhibit the locomotive and its tender from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Aug. 1 at the Southern Museum in Kennesaw.
Only a few of the manufacturer’s locomotives are still in existence. Officials say No. 10168, was built in 1925, is the only known Glover locomotive that still operates.
The locomotive is heading to its permanent home in Williston, Florida.
According to Dick Hillman’s “Glover Steam Locomotives: The South’s Last Steam Builder,” the locomotive later served at Six Gun Territory park in Florida. It was later on stationary display outside of a Gainesville, Florida restaurant.
A Columbus, Ohio, resident later purchased the locomotive and restored the locomotive to run on compressed air rather than steamer.
Glover Machine Works produced more than 200 locomotives. The company’s locomotives were often smaller than those built by Baldwin or other famous builders.
Its historic 11-acre campus in Marietta, where the company moved in 1903, was razed in 1995. The Southern Museum is home to the company’s records and several artifacts.